My Lovely Followers

Friday 4 September 2015

The Beauty of Memory

Sympathy cards.....
I find them very difficult to make, for several reasons. Apart from the obvious of not really being a pleasurable thing to make, generally they don't really gel with my normal style.  I really don't think they suit being frilly, highly layered and embellished etc. So this week when I'd been strugglig to come up with a design for a card that really should already have been sent to a friend, I turned to Pinterest for some inspiration.

I found the answer, and it only cost me 3 hours of my life lol! Pinterest and I have a love/hate relationship, I  love that it's so full of ideas, I hate that it's so full of ideas that it sucks me in and gets me looking at stuff I never even intended to when I stuck my head in there!

Anyway I found this card, and while it's a stunning beautiful and simple elegant card, it wasn't quite me, and I didn't have the right dies and stamps for it. But I used it as my inspiration for the card below. While I was there I also spotted the sentiment I used as I have NO stamps with suitable sentiments on (something I must address), and I used the word processing facility on Open Office to type it out and re-size it just right to fit on my card. That sentiment made me think to use the Crea Diem paper from Maja with the clocks, and then I was off and running. The result is below.


I inked all my edges with Black Soot Distress Ink and sewed around my patterned paper with Grey Top Stitch thread.


The beautiful sentiment is printed and the banner is cut by hand.


The border strip if cut with a Martha Stewart punk and an Impression Obsessions die. The ribbon and twine are from my stash.


6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creation in black and white! The Maja papers are so perfect for this fab creation and i love the roman number clocks and punch border! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful card for a sombre occasion and perfect to convey your thoughts and message.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very elegant! Love the combo and the paper laces look wonderful with the butterflies! Love also the grey stiching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sympathy card. LIke you, I find it difficult to create them. You did an awesome job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean; I also have trouble making sympathy cards. But you still make it work. This card is gorgeous! Very elegant and with a beautiful sentiment. In my opinion it turned out much better that the one from Pinterest you were inspired by. (Oh, and btw, I know how that "love-hate relationship" with Pinterest works. ;)).
    Have a lovely day! Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I avoid these types of cards I usually commitee the ultimate sin and buy one Yours looka Amazing and the Sentiment is perfect!.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and feedback and every one left is read and appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will always do my best to answer them. Thanks for visiting!

Linda xx