My Lovely Followers

Tuesday 15 November 2016

Technique Tuesdays - Pink Poinsettias


Hello!

Are you intrigued by the title of this post? Well during my 'quiet' time following my Dad passing away, when I wasn't crafting or posting much, I got very interested at looking at various different techniques on Pinterest and YouTube.

I also have to give a bit of a heads up and thanks to Alanna, my fellow Design Team member from Whimsy Stamps, as she kind of kick started me into looking into these with her fab class at the Whimsy Stamps Craft Retreat.

So I thought I would invite you to join me on my crafty Journey and try out a new technique or a different way of using a technique/s each Tuesday. 

Now I don't promise that I'll never miss a Tuesday, because as we all know, life sometimes gets in the way of crafting and blogging, but I will certainly try my best.

Also in the main, these techniques are going to be new to me, so don't expect a perfect finish, but I thought you might enjoy seeing me try some new things.

So the first technique I'm going to be showcasing today is watercolouring with white embossed outlines. This gives a lovely effect as there are no harsh black lines and you can do this with your regular character stamps, but as I'm stepping firmly outside of my comfort zone with these I thought I would use a stamp set to make a background around a stamped and embossed sentiment.


So first I took a piece of watercolour paper and stamped the Peace & Joy sentiment from Whimsy's Joyous Holiday clear set with Versamark Ink and then used some gold embossing power and heated that with my heat gun.

Once I had my central focal point I took the poinsettia and holly leaf stamps from the same set and stamped those fairly randomly around my sentiment, again using Versamark ink, but this time using white embossing powder.

For best results just stamp a couple at a time and emboss before moving on to the next, or you may find you get in a bit of a mess.

Once everything was embossed I took some Picked Raspberry and Lucky Clover distress ink, and painted all the flowers and leaves, adding a little Festive Berries distress ink to the centre of the flowers and to the holly berries. I was very rough an dready with my colouring, I didn't get too fancy or fussy about it i just wanted to add some quick colour.

Once everything was dry I cut my panel down to    and mounted on some bright pink card stock cut a quarter of an inch bigger and then mounted the whole thing on a 4.25 x 5.5 inch card base.

To finish off I added some Wink of Stella to the petals and a few enamel dots.

Materials Used

Water colour paper
Distress Inks in Lucky Clover, Picked Raspberry and Festive Berries.
Plain white card stock.
Bright pink card stock.
Whimsy Stamps Clear Joyous Holiday Set
Versamark Ink
Gold Embossing Powder
White Embossing Powder
Whimsy Summer Breeze Enamel Dots
Wink of Stella Brush Pen in Clear

I entered this card in the In the Pink Challenge #107 Winter

There you have it! Do let me know what you think, I'm quite pleased with the way this turned out and will certainly try this technique again.

Happy crafting!


7 comments:

  1. Ooooh Linda.... this is absolutely beautiful! I love your delicate watercolouring and as you say, without the harsh black lines, it looks fantastic! And the pink poinsettias are stunning!! Your card would be perfect to enter in our Winter challenge at In the Pink too!

    I'll look forward to seeing you trying new techniques... it's always good to step outside our comfort zone every now and again.

    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im happy to see you in blogland.
    Oh this is so pretty!
    lots of hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this technique Linda and your card is beautiful! IThe colours are gorgeous, they go together so well.
    I hope you are O.K.
    Hugs
    Gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you back and also trying something new, very bold and brave, good for you!
    You have created a beautiful card, very soft and subtle colouring and the white lines add to the pretty and feminine design. I love how this turned out and look forward to seeing what next Tuesday brings.
    Enjoy your week.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so lovely to see you back in blogland with a card...and oh, what a stunner of a card it is! I absolutely love the gorgeous colours you used for these poinsettias and your colouring is vibrant yet delicate :-)
    I shall certainly be looking forward to more Technique Tuesdays!
    Big hugs, Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is soooooo gorgeous - love the stunning design.
    Thanks for playing along at In the Pink this time.
    Good luck.
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and feedback and every one left is read and appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will always do my best to answer them. Thanks for visiting!

Linda xx